| || |
In 1865, this quilt was made by the Humboldt County Ladies Social Circle of Eureka. The quilt was auctioned off at the sanitary fair to raise funds to assist the Union troops through the sanitary commission.The Civil War ended shortly after this date. The Ladies Social Circle dedicated the banner quilt to Ulysses S. Grant honoring his stay at Fort Humboldt.
In 1991, after a 125 year tour of the nation, Bruce Hazard and his children thought the quilt should be returned to Humboldt County. They donated it to the Clarke Memorial Museum in tribute to Hazel Grant Hazard, loving wife and mother.