Cora Wright (1868-1948) was born in Martinez, CA and was later trained by Manuel Valencia, a well-known painter of landscapes and Mission scenes in Marin County. Cora moved to Eureka in 1888 after marrying Charles Wright, a jeweler originally from Michigan. Charles ran a successful jewelry shop while Cora ran a painting studio out of the house that Charles had built, which still stands today at 1230 H Street in Eureka. The Dutch Colonial style home was built in 1905 with custom stained glass windows designed by Charles Wright.
After the passing of Cora and Charles, the home was owned by State Senator Arthur and Dorothy Way. It was restored by Sandra and Gerry Peterson and 2001, the Clarke Museum loaned out a number of Cora Wright’s works to the owners of her house, so the works could be displayed for viewing during a museum fundraiser that was held in the home. The paintings have since been returned to the museum and are on display in celebration of Cora Wright’s 150th birthday.