During January, the Museum was closed to the public. Traditionally, this time has been used to swap out exhibits and take care of deep cleaning to bring the museum back to sparkly shine for the new year. This past January has brought a number of new, great things to our museum-and the new Humboldt Made Visitor Center in the foyer of the Museum.
- A few new walls! A new dividing wall was installed to provide extra wall space for the Museum and the Visitor Center, along with new rolling panels and a space for local artists to exhibit their work. Currently, the vintage car artwork of Frank Speck is on display.
- We are beginning the early phases of adding additional exhibit space in the former vault of the bank. Historically, this space was used for an exhibit on natural history and guns.
- Minor wall repairs and a fresh coat of paint on some display cases.
- A new exhibit in the main hall, Fraternal Organizations of Humboldt County: Long Ago and Today, was installed, featuring items from 14 of the 130 fraternal and auxiliary organizations that have called Humboldt County home over the last 160 years. It will be on display until May.
- Thanks to Carolyn Burns, an 1854 painting of Humboldt Bay which was sent off for restoration has returned to the museum and is now on display in the Victorian Room. It is the third painting that has been sent off for restoration, and a fourth one is now in the process of being restored. Interested in "adopting" a piece of artwork for restoration? Contact the museum at 707 443 1947
- Items on display in Nealis Hall are being incrementally rotated out and new displays include baskets with Frog's Hand Design and Dentalium necklaces. Upcoming cases include Trinket Baskets, basket-covered bottles, and baby baskets.