Founder Cecile Clarke
The Clarke Historical Museum was founded by Cecile Clarke (1885-1979). Miss Clarke was a local history teacher at Eureka High School. It was here at Eureka High that she first started displaying her collection of local Native American basketry. In 1960, when the school ran out of room for her ever increasing collection of local history items, Miss Clarke sold her family sheep ranch and used the money to buy the old Bank of Eureka building and she set up her collection here. People gave her more things for the museum and it continued to grow.
Miss Clarke taught for over 40 years and dedicated her life to the museum. Originally named the Clarke Memorial Museum, it was renamed the Clarke Historical Museum in 2001, and now runs as a privately operated non-profit organization for the use, benefit and awareness of the City of Eureka, surrounding cities and the local Native Indian tribes.
Bank of Eureka Building
One hundred three years ago, the Bank of Eureka opened its newly constructed building, currently home to the Clarke Historical Museum. The area, including the Clarke Museum property, was originally homesteaded in the 1860s. In 1871, the locally famous Huff House was built on this site and later was known as the Bay Hotel. It was destroyed by a spectacular fire in the late 1880s. The Bay Hotel was the temporary home of the Newsome brothers architects when they were supervising the construction of the William Carson Mansion/ Ingomar Club and other homes in the area.
The Bank of Eureka and the Savings Bank of Humboldt County opened a two-story brick building on this site which was incorporated October 4, 1889, and opened for business July 1, 1890. The original board of directors included William Carson. In July of 1911 the brick building was demolished to make way for this new building and the bank offices were moved across the street during construction.
The 1911-1912 bank building was designed by the San Francisco architect Albert Pissis (1852-1914), the architect who introduced the Beaux-Arts architectural style to San Francisco and designed a number of important buildings in the city in the years before and after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire. He was one of the first Americans to study at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. He was a major figure in the Neoclassical (Classical Revival) movement, particularly Beaux-Arts, and introduced that style to San Francisco beginning with the Hibernia bank building in 1892. Pissis played a major role in San Francisco’s reconstruction following the Great Earthquake of 1906, both as a designer of a number of the city’s landmark buildings and as a member of the Committee of Fifty in charge of the restoration of San Francisco after the great earthquake.
In 1954 Bank of Eureka merged with Crocker-Anglo London-Paris National, later Anglo Crocker, then Crocker Citizen, but in 1957 Crocker moved out and the building sat vacant. Cecile Clarke purchased the building in 1959. On June 8, 1960 Clarke Memorial Museum opened at this site and dedicated on August 21, 1960 as a memorial to Miss Clarke’s parents, Joseph and Annie Clarke, Mendocino County pioneers of the 1860s. In 1979 Nealis Hall annex opened on the site of the former Liberty Theater.
Nealis Hall is named after James A. Nealis, President of the Redwood Empire Association (October 16, 1970 – September 21, 1972). Through the efforts of Mr. Nealis, the generous donation of the land by Richard Mann, in cooperation with the Eureka City Council and funds from the Economic Development Administration, Nealis Hall was dedicate on June 15, 1979 and houses the Museums extensive Native American Basketry and Regalia that grew from Mrs. Clarke’s extensive collection and with help and donation from the children and citizens of the City of Eureka.
Open Wednesday - Saturday
11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Eureka Arts Alive
1st Saturday of the Month
6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
240 E Street
Eureka, California 95501