| || |
Ben, Museum Director: My favorite moment occurred during the Arts and Cultural Festival. While the public was writing personal reflections on what the redwoods mean to them, a woman got teary-eyed while telling me about how important the redwoods are for her, particularly during a difficult time in her life. The event really brought the community together, everyone I saw that day really had a positive experience, I don't remember ever seeing so many happy Eurekans at one time!
Brittany: my favorite memory of 2018 has been helping out with tabling and wheat-pasting for the Clarke's Opera Alley exhibit during the Eureka Street Art Festival and people sharing their favorite memories of the Redwoods. As well as getting to see the Native American collection more in depth and seeing something new every day.
Katie: My favorite memory for this year was hosting our Redwood National and State Parks exhibit opening on July 7! I have a long history with the National Parks and putting together an exhibit and event to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Redwood National and State Parks was a fantastic experience for me. It was a really fun event and I'm happy that the exhibit was received so warmly.
- Three main hall exhibits on early industries, quilting in Humboldt County and prohibition.
- A new exhibit space for our antique weaponry exhibit and natural history exhibits
- New exhibits in Nealis Hall on dresses and basketry designs (and more!)
- New flooring and restored historic lighting fixtures!
- Continued work on restoring the interior of our historic building
- A public art installation featuring replica cutouts of the Romano Gabriel sculptures painted by local school kids
- A new round of fascinating docent training opportunities including a Yurok Language workshop, tours of Nealis Hall focusing on basketry design and construction, and more (consider becoming a volunteer docent to take advantage of these workshops!)
- Our famous yearly Labor Day Block Party
- Participation in new Old Town traditions like the Friday Night Market and the Eureka Street Art Festival
- Members-only previews before the opening of new exhibits
- New Opera Alley, Artist Wall and Community case exhibits including displays on CERT Humboldt, Humboldt Sponsors, Mark Alder’s artwork, and local baseball.